|By Daniel Keeney||
|April 23, 2009 07:26 PM EDT||
SUGAR LAND, TEXAS, April 23, 2009 – Fifth grade students from Cornerstone Elementary School will plant a Live Oak tomorrow morning to mark Arbor Day and highlight the benefits trees provide. Each student will also receive a Live Oak tree sapling to plant at home along with instructions for the proper care for the tree. Houston Landscapes Unlimited donated the tree installation and the 100 saplings.
The tree-planting event is scheduled for 10 a.m. Friday, April 24th in Lake Park across the street from Cornerstone Elementary School, which is located in Telfair at 1800 Chatham Avenue in Sugar Land.
“The trees within our community are the unsung environmental heroes -- they enhance our quality of life by adding tremendous value aesthetically, environmentally and economically,” said Dean Carpenter, president and founder of Houston Landscapes Unlimited. “By the time these children get to college age in seven years, the tree they plant this weekend should be as tall and strong as they are. I hope some will get excited enough to consider a future in the horticulture field.”
What is the environmental impact of donating 100 tree saplings? Some estimates conclude that 100 trees remove up to five tons of CO2, 400 pounds of ozone, and 300 pounds of small particulate matter. Trees also hold the soil in place and prevent flooding by absorbing water. They shade homes, decreasing energy costs and they provide habitat for many animal species.
Friday’s event is being coordinated by the Telfair Homeowners Association, Newland Communities and Houston Landscapes Unlimited.
Arbor Day’s roots stretch back to 1854 when newspaperman J. Sterling Morton and his wife moved to Nebraska where trees were scarce. He wrote about planting trees for shade from the hot sun, fuel, building materials, wind breaks and to keep the soil from eroding. Later as a public official, Morton proposed a tree planting holiday in 1872 called Arbor Day.
About Houston Landscapes Unlimited
Founded in 1983, Houston Landscapes Unlimited is a full service landscape and irrigation company that offers beautification services along with installation, landscape management and irrigation services. Houston Landscapes Unlimited’s crews maintain an array of properties, including office buildings, retail developments, business parks, multi-family complexes, homeowner associations, industrial facilities, and public facilities and parks. For more information, visit www.houstonlandscapes.com.
- America's Egg Farmers Launch New Incredible Edible Egg(TM) Advertising Campaign Focusing on 'Body And Mind'
- Area Fifth Graders to Plant 100 Trees Donated by Houston Landscapes Unlimited
- Agriculture Secretary Opens 2009 Pennsylvania Farm Show
- Mobile-Forms Software Company, Mi-Co, on Track to Grow 25% in 2012
- 'World's Fastest Omelet Maker' Helps Moms Prepare Dishes Under $2.00 for World Egg Day
- Taking the 'ICK' Out of Picky Eaters
- Governor Rendell's Budget: Helping Families Weather the National Recession
- Animal Welfare Approved Farmer Jude Becker Featured on Oprah
- This Season's Hottest Gifts
- Great Park Pumpkin Harvest