|By PR Newswire||
|October 15, 2008 12:10 PM EDT||
-Rapidly growing program recognized for having the highest standards for farm animal welfare-
Like many farm kids of the 1980s, Jude grew up amidst a general decline in traditional agriculture. Factory farms and confinement operations were the growing trend, and "sustainable agriculture" was not the household word it has now become. However, after attending
Starting out with six
Jude's sows farrow on pasture, and piglets remain with their mother for 7 weeks -- a sharp contrast to the 3-week industry standard. A typical piglet at Becker Lane is born into a nest with his or her mother and siblings, and begins to venture out into the "yard" at 10 days. Jude grows much of his own feed, and uses his livestock operation in careful rotation with his other crops. This prevents disease, allows the land to rest, and utilizes the pigs' manure rather than confining it to a lagoon.
When asked about his goals for Becker Lane, Jude says, "To maximize the morality of our process. Morality is kind of tongue-in-cheek, but it's the best word -- our goal is to improve the health and wellness of our animals, staff and the environment."
"Animal Welfare Approved is the only farm animal welfare label and program that requires family ownership, prohibits confinement feeding operations, provides grants to farmers and is offered for free," remarked program director
SOURCE Animal Welfare Approved
- America's Egg Farmers Launch New Incredible Edible Egg(TM) Advertising Campaign Focusing on 'Body And Mind'
- Area Fifth Graders to Plant 100 Trees Donated by Houston Landscapes Unlimited
- Agriculture Secretary Opens 2009 Pennsylvania Farm Show
- Mobile-Forms Software Company, Mi-Co, on Track to Grow 25% in 2012
- 'World's Fastest Omelet Maker' Helps Moms Prepare Dishes Under $2.00 for World Egg Day
- Taking the 'ICK' Out of Picky Eaters
- Governor Rendell's Budget: Helping Families Weather the National Recession
- This Season's Hottest Gifts
- Animal Welfare Approved Farmer Jude Becker Featured on Oprah
- Great Park Pumpkin Harvest